How to join
How to join
The application procedure is designed to ensure that we all get to know each other before a final decision is reached.
- First we ask all enquirers to write us a letter
- This should be at least 1 page long, saying something about yourself, why you would like to live communally in general and at MGC in particular, as well as what you have to offer the community.
- It should be sent as a separate email attachment (.doc or .pdf) or by post. Addresses are on the Contact page.
- This is followed by an invitation to an open afternoon.
- If both the community and the enquirer wish to continue the process, you are then invited to a meal.
- An enquirer wishing to continue after the first meal, and if the community agrees, will be invited to attend a second meal. This is to ensure they have the opportunity to meet everyone.
- The next stage is to spend a week living in the community.
- The enquirer can then apply, and a consensus decision about their application is reached at a meeting.
- If accepted the enquirer becomes a full member and can move in.
- After moving in there is a 6 month transition period involving informal 1:1 meetings with every other member to foster new relationships and give opportunities for any potential issues to be addressed. The completion of this period is celebrated with a meal.
This process usually takes at least 8-12 months, so if you are in urgent housing need we recommend you find somewhere you can stay for at least that long before applying.
Because we aim to be a relatively stable community, and it takes time and energy to join and get to know the ropes, we ask all new members to make a commitment to stay for two years.